May is Mental Health Awareness Month! Mental health is just as important as physical health. You wouldn’t skip brushing your teeth, so don’t skip these brain boosters from our SHALVA clinical staff.
Here are our top five tips you can do every day:
- Enjoy the great outdoors! Take a walk or just find a spot to sit outside.
- Have a good laugh. Watch a funny movie, comedy show, or a short video online if you don’t have a ton of time.
- Try meditating for one minute with a timer or try one of the many meditation apps available on your smart phone.
- Take three deep breaths. Close your eyes, breathe in through your nose to expand your belly, and then sigh out loud on your exhale.
- Start a gratitude journal where you can write down three things a day that you are thankful for, like spending time with a friend, a delicious meal or a song that makes you smile.
If things feel “off”, please ask for help. You may find it better to talk through your feelings with a friend or professional. You are not alone. Our community has many mental health resources available, and the new 988 mental health hotline is available if you are experiencing a mental health crisis. Wishing everyone peace and happiness.