In-House Legal Liaison
Abusers often manipulate the court system to continue their pattern of power and control.
Legal Liaison services are available to current SHALVA counseling clients. When clients understand how the legal system works and what they can realistically expect from it, they become empowered and active participants in the process. At SHALVA, we believe that this knowledge and understanding will help lessen client anxiety or stress.
The Legal Liaison helps a SHALVA client by:
- Explaining how the legal system works and providing support and information to clients.
- Empowering SHALVA clients to become active participants in the legal process by providing education, information and referrals. The Legal Liaison will not represent clients or handle cases.
- Meeting with clients to help them understand all aspects of the legal process.
- Translating legal documents for clients.
- Connecting the client, her attorney and her SHALVA therapist, so that the client works more effectively with her attorney.
- Helping clients prepare for meetings with their attorneys.
- Helping with post decree issues.
If you are not a current client or are a former client, you must first meet with a SHALVA therapist for an assessment. To schedule an assessment, call 773-583- HOPE (4673).
Legal Outreach and Education
The Education and Outreach Legal Liaison collaborates with the legal community to address gaps in the legal system on the issues of education, awareness, and access. SHALVA offers continuing legal education programs (CLEs) on issues related to the intersection between domestic abuse and the legal system.
How you can help:
- Represent SHALVA’s clients. Experienced family law attorneys are always needed.
- Host an educational program in your law office or at a legal group meeting.
- Watch our past programs below to learn more about the intersection of domestic abuse and the legal process.