Want to give your kids a gift this Father’s Day? Teach your children the importance of healthy relationships and that abuse is never acceptable. Here are some tips from SHALVA therapists to get you started:
- Show your children examples of healthy relationships that are open, honest and respectful through your own actions.
- Point out examples of unhealthy behavior from television, movies, music, video games or social media.
- Ask questions and encourage open discussion. Make sure you listen to your children, allowing them time to speak.
- Be supportive and nonjudgmental so your children know they can come to you for help if their relationships ever become unhealthy.
- Reinforce that dating should be fun. Stress that violence and intimidation are never acceptable.
Wishing you a Happy Father’s Day!