We have been spending more family time together during the pandemic, but are we having real conversations? February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, so it’s the perfect time to have a conversation with your teen about healthy and unhealthy relationships (whether they’re boys or girls!). One in three young people experience some form of dating abuse, so family conversations are crucial to building awareness, sharing values and offering support.
Here are some great conversation starters:
• How do you know someone loves you and how do you show someone you love them?
• What do you do when you feel upset with someone or when someone hurts your feelings?
• Is it more important to be right or to be happy?
• What does shalom bayit (peace in the home) look like for you?
• What makes you a good friend? What do you do when someone isn’t being a good friend?
By listening carefully and sharing examples from tv, movies or your own life, you can help open the door for your teen to share their experiences with you. Thanks to JWI for their Shamor l’Amour conversation starters.