Social Service Agencies and Support Resources
SHALVA is one of many community resources available for those in need. Please see the following for help with crisis, shelter, legal issues, financial issues, and sexual abuse.
- Illinois Domestic Violence Helpline (887-863-6338) is a free, confidential, 24/7, multilingual helpline that will connect you with support, information, and referrals for shelter, safety planning, legal advocacy, and more.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (800-799-7233) offers free, confidential, 24/7 support via phone and online chat.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255) is a free, confidential, 24/7 helpline for people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
- Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline (888-293-2080) offers free, confidential, 24/7 support, crisis intervention, and referrals for surivors of sexual violence and their significant others.
- The ARK (773-973-1000) offers shelter and a myriad of services for Chicagoland Jews who are facing adversity.
- Deborah’s Place (773-722-5080) provides housing and support services for women experiencing homelessness in Chicago.
- Home of the Sparrow (815-271-5406) offers transitional shelter, affordable housing, rapid re-housing, and other supportive services for single women, pregnant women, and women with children.
- Sarah’s Circle (773-728-1991) serves homeless and at-risk women with daytime services including food, clothing, shelter, housing ,and clinical services.
- Lifespan (312-408-1210) provides legal representation, counseling, and advocacy for survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
- Ascend Justice (312-325-9155) empowers individuals and families impacted by gender-based violence through holistic legal advocacy.
- Chicago Legal Clinic (773-731-1762) provides quality legal services and education to the underserved and disadvantaged.
- DuPage Legal Aid (630-653-6212) provides free legal assistance for family law issues such as divorce, child support, and custody.
- Legal Aid Chicago (312-341-1070) provides free civil legal services for people living in poverty in Cook County.
- YWCA Evanston/North Shore (Skokie Court Advocates) (847-470-5052) offers legal advocates who assist domestic violence survivors with obtaining orders of protection, safety plan, and accessing other legal remedies.
- The ARK (773-973-1000) provides free financial services such as help with managing budgets, applying for government benefits, and finding employment.
- Chicago Chesed Fund (847-679-7799) offers assistance in the form of goods, services, and financial support for families in crisis throughout the Chicagoland area.
- Catholic Charities (312-655-7700) provides food, clothing, shelter, and counseling for people and families in need.
- Metropolitan Family Services (312-986-4000) provides low-income families with the tools to find and maintain employment, achieve financial literacy, and build family wealth.
- Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center (312-492-3700) responds to reports of child sexual abuse, witness to violence, and other serious maltreatment.
- Our Resilience (312-443-9603) provides free crisis intervention, advocacy, and counseling to sexual violence suriviors and their significant others.
- Zacharias Sexual Abuse Center (Gurnee & Skokie) (847-872-7799) provides free counseling and advocacy services to survivors of sexual abuse and assault, and non-offending loved ones.